Director of Alumni Relations
Director of Alumni Relations
The primary responsibility for the Director of Alumni Relations is to manage all year-round efforts and communications targeted at increasing the engagement of Porter-Gaud alumni. This position is a full-time and 12-months. As a member of the Porter-Gaud Foundation Office the Director will attend all/most Foundation-related school/alumni events and functions; therefore some night and weekend work is required. Travel for alumni meetings and events outside the Charleston region is also required. The Director will be a self-starter, work both independently and collaboratively, be an energetic and creative thinker, help plan and manage Foundation and alumni events, and be able to serve as the point of contact for alumni. This is a fast paced, dynamic environment.
Work with volunteer groups to increase alumni awareness, goodwill, participation, involvement and philanthropic support. The primary groups are the Porter-Gaud Alumni Association, Porter-Gaud Young Alumni Association, Gaud School Alumni and the Porter Military Academy Alumni Association. Serve as their primary liaison and coordinate their activities.
Meet individually with alumni in the Charleston region and outside the Charleston region to strengthen relationships with the School and increase alumni giving through direct solicitations, reunion class giving and other efforts coordinated with the Director of Annual Giving. Also, identify potential larger donors.
Manage and coordinate local and regional alumni events, like Homecoming, Reunion Weekend, and Hall of Fame.
Work with the Director of Strategic Communication and Director of Digital Media to insure regular and effective communications are going out to alumni through emails, social media and other media outlets.
Help establish and support Porter-Gaud alumni clubs outside the Charleston region.
Manage the Alumni office budget for travel and events.
Help find stories and class notes for the Porter-Gaud Alumni Magazine.
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in communications, marketing, public relations, or a related field.
- Three to 5 years relevant work experience in a professional setting, preferably in alumni/donor relations or in development/fundraising.
- Strong people skills highly professional, friendly, good listener, motivator.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and solid computer skills.
- Experience with Blackbaud's Raiser's Edge is preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of alumni and donor relations or comparable experience.
- Self-motivated and energetic.
- Ability or work cooperatively and pleasantly with alumni, Foundation team members, volunteers, consultants, vendors, and all members of the Porter-Gaud staff and community.
- Ability to work well under pressure and adhere to a strict code of donor confidentiality and ethics.
Reporting: The Director of Alumni Relations reports directly to the Executive Director of the Foundation.
Salary: Expect a beginner's salary range; the offer may vary based on years of experience and relevancy of experience.
Benefits: Full-time benefits include health insurance, HSA employer contribution, dental, paid holidays and vacation leave, and availability of 403(b) plan.
To apply: Please choose one method of application.
Preferred method: Email cover letter and resume to
Mail cover letter and resume to:
Director of Alumni Relations Position
300 Albemarle Road
Charleston, South Carolina 29407
Porter-Gaud School is committed to increasing the racial, ethnic, and religious diversity of our faculty and staff. The School welcomes applicants who would bring additional dimensions to the School's teaching mission. In accordance with the law, Porter-Gaud School is an equal opportunity employer charged with hiring without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex/gender, age, or disability.