Director of Development
The Opportunity | Hospice House of Hampton Roads
The Hospice House of Hampton Roads (HHHR) will be a 12-room private all-suite medical sanctuary, in a peaceful, home-like setting. The HHHR will be the only waterfront, in-patient hospice home in the region designed and used exclusively to serve those with end-of-life illnesses and their loved ones. It will be built on a lakeside property at the corner of Upton Drive and Nimmo Parkway. It has been designed to maximize this serene and peaceful setting, enhancing it with Japanese and English gardens providing a refuge both in and out of doors.
The Position | Director of Development
The Director of Development will report to a designated member(s) of the Board of Directors. Demonstrated experience in fundraising and community networking is required, as are exemplary written and communication skills. The position requires an energetic, highly organized, goal-oriented self-starter. Computer skills in database management and Microsoft Office systems are essential.
- Support and coordinate activities of the Board of Directors, campaign cabinet, campaign volunteers, and others as they relate to campaign planning and implementation.
- Schedule and coordinate campaign cabinet and committee meetings including notifications, agendas, action plans, and reminders.
- Assist with the creation of and maintain campaign marketing materials including support of campaign volunteers in preparing information, cultivation, and solicitation packets.
- Support orientation of campaign volunteers as needed to update on campaign planning and implementation.
- Coordinate and support Board Members, campaign cabinet members and other volunteers in cultivation visits and events including individual meetings, open house tours, executive briefings, home parties, and other venues suitable to informing and cultivating prospective donors.
- Coordinate and support presentations to civic organizations and media contacts to inform public knowledge of the campaign vision and benefits to the community.
- Conduct research to compile background information and support campaign volunteers in soliciting individual, corporate, foundation, and other prospective donors.
- Maintain eTapestry donor database of all prospective campaign donors and assignments, cultivation strategies, and record of contacts.
- Maintain and distribute a campaign calendar of scheduled activities and regular progress reports to campaign leaders.
- Organize and maintain thorough, accurate, and secure computer and hard copy donation and pledge records and scheduled reports to campaign leaders and staff.
- Perform the above and any other duties necessary for effective and efficient campaign planning, management, and implementation.
- Act in an ethical and professional manner in carrying out the duties of this position and in maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information.
The ideal candidate will thrive on working independently while at the same time embrace working closely with the board in all aspect of philanthropy and growing development program that will provide sustainability of the organization. The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications and traits:
- Experience in fundraising techniques
- Excellent writing skills
- Highly organized
- Must enjoy building and growing programs
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and maintain external relationships
- Ability to manage a fundraising database
- Experience with coordinating fundraising efforts, including events, campaigns, and digital communications
- Previous experience and successful performance in fundraising
- Flexible and hands on attitude
- Bachelor’s degree
HHHR has retained Capital Development Services to assist with professional recruitment. Candidate materials must be submitted via email to email@example.com or online. Candidates should include a cover letter, a resume, and a list of three references. Additional inquiries may be directed to Jen Tozier at Capital Development Services, 336-747-0133 x 208.