A Monthly Giving How-To: Ask Why
Click here to read on NonProfitPRO
by Erica Waasdorp
Let's face it: Just because you, as a fundraiser, send emails and/or letters to a donor, asking them to give monthly, it may not work right away. It might require several calls and emails. It may require some additional ammunition.
If you have at least one monthly donor, you have that ammunition. You have at least one donor who can tell you why they are giving monthly. And you probably have several more. Start there.
Ask your current monthly donors why they are giving monthly. Then use their message to share with potential monthly donors. Get their testimonial. Use it in your email and e-newsletters. Get it on video through whatever video application you're using right now to connect with donors. Use it on your website. Use it in your print newsletter. Use it wherever you think it fits best, but by golly, use it.
Why? Because donors love hearing from other donors. It may just be that little extra nudge they need to say: "Yes, I feel that way, too. I'm going to start giving monthly because I love this organization and its mission, and I want to help!"
Here are ways you can get your monthly donors to share why they're supporting your organization:
- Call the donor to thank them for their ongoing support. Ask why they give monthly. If they give you a quote or testimonial, ask if it's OK to use it… with or without their name. Make sure you confirm that via email and preferably with a little thank-you note.
- Send an email to your existing monthly donors thanking them for their ongoing support, and ask them what they like about giving monthly. Again, confirm that you have permission to use it.
- Send a personal thank-you note with a reply card allowing the donor to share why they like giving monthly. Don't forget the reply envelope, and make sure you ask for their permission to use it.
It takes a bit of time and not a lot of money. But it accomplishes three things:
- Your monthly donors feel appreciated and special, perhaps even honored, because you asked them for their opinion/feedback.
- You'll be able to get great testimonials quickly, which you can then use to reach out to other donors.
- You'll generate more monthly donors.
Sounds like another win-win to me.