Chief Philanthropy Officer
The Opportunity | Raleigh Rescue Mission
Believing every individual has sacred value, we equip people to impact the world for good through the love of Jesus Christ.
The Opportunity | Raleigh Rescue Mission
As a faith-based Christian organization, Raleigh Rescue Mission believes that each individual has Sacred Value because they are created in the image of God. Through the love of Jesus and the New Life Plan, RRM assists people with breaking the cycle of poverty while living at the Mission. This unique plan centers around three strategic pillars: focus on children to end generational poverty; jobs matter, as a full-time job and GED make poverty less likely; and access to stable housing, which builds self-sufficiency and wealth to eliminate poverty. Through meals, housing, counseling, education, career development and many types of ongoing client support, RRM impacts the lives of the more than 1,200 people who come to them for services each year. In Wake County, where RRM is located, the convergence of a higher number of homeless, a shrinking supply of affordable housing, and greater unemployment creates still more demand. Because of the power of Jesus Christ, many of these clients are experiencing a new transformed life.
The Community | Raleigh, North Carolina
Raleigh, NC is known for its family-friendly atmosphere, great quality of life and welcoming southern community. Raleigh is also home to the largest and oldest research park in the country. The 7,000-acre Research Triangle Park (RTP) is home to more than 200 companies and over 50,000 people with expertise in fields such as microelectronics, biotechnology, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and environmental sciences. Home to 11 universities, colleges and numerous satellite campuses, the Raleigh area is tremendously rich in educational opportunities. It is for these reasons the region has been named one of the best places to live in North Carolina—and the best big city in the Southeast.
The Position | Chief Philanthropy Officer
The Chief Philanthropy Officer (CPO) has primary responsibility to plan, create and execute a comprehensive fundraising program that enables RRM to achieve its mission of transforming lives. The CPO provides oversight and leadership for all fundraising efforts, including annual giving, planned giving and an upcoming capital campaign that will get underway in January 2022. Working with the Board of Directors, RRM staff, and others in the community, the CPO reports to the CEO.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The CPO will be an accomplished fundraising professional with skills and experience that include cultivation of major and transformative gifts; donor relations and stewardship; and knowledge of best practices in the field.
- Design and implement a comprehensive program of philanthropy that achieves maximum sustained growth and support for RRM programs and activities
- Represent RRM in the community in a way that reflects the character of the organization, as well as total commitment to its mission
- Build and maintain relationships that are anchored in trust, honesty, and integrity
- Oversee all fundraising and cultivation activities including annual giving, major gifts, capital campaigns, planned giving and special events
- Coordinate and direct an upcoming capital campaign to create a physical facility that will enable RRM to expand its reach and service to its clients
- Participate in strategic planning for RRM with the goal of securing funds to support specific initiatives identified in the plan
- Set benchmarks for program operation, including personal visits to donors and potential donors, community outreach, marketing, and goals for giving
- Guide RRM board members, campaign leaders, and other volunteers in accomplishing the philanthropic goals of the organization
- Ensure proper oversight of the donor database, including both financial and directory information, and be certain systems are in place to ensure total confidentiality and security of that information
The CPO will have an innate desire, driven by faith, to do this work. They will believe it is a privilege to serve the clients of RRM and will exhibit that belief in the conduct of their work. They will be detail-oriented and work well in RRM’s team-oriented culture of servant leadership.
- A personal commitment to the mission of Raleigh Rescue Mission
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- A minimum of three years of experience in fundraising leadership
- A demonstrated track record in securing a broad range of gifts by size and type
- Fundraising experience with a similar organization
- Ability to interact with individuals from all backgrounds and experiences while consistently reflecting the values of RRM
- Self-starter who is motivated by cause and mission, and works well as part of a team
- Outstanding communicator and community representative
- Excellent organizational, project management and interpersonal skills
Raleigh Rescue Mission has retained Capital Development Services to assist with professional recruitment. Candidates should include a cover letter, a resume, and a list of three references. All material will be confidential. Additional inquiries may be directed to Jen Tozier at Capital Development Services, 336-747-0133 x 208.