Director of Development
The Opportunity | Grymes Memorial School
Located in historic Orange, Virginia, Grymes Memorial School is a co-educational independent day school that offers rigorous, character-based education for children in pre-kindergarten through eighth grade. Our diverse student body is brought together by the core values of honor, respect, kindness and responsibility. It is our goal to develop well-rounded tenacious thinkers, skillful writers and confident speakers who grow to be intellectually curious young adults. focus on the arts, outstanding outdoor education program, and acclaimed athletic performance.
The Position | Director of Development
The Director of Development is responsible for all aspects of development work at the School. He/she works with the Head of School, Board of Trustees, campaign leaders, and campaign counsel to plan, implement, and sustain all aspects of the School’s upcoming capital campaign in addition to overseeing the annual fund and planned giving. This is a 12-month position.
The Director of Development is part of an Advancement team and collaborates with the Director of Admissions and Marketing, Director of Communications and Alumni Relations, and Events Coordinator. He/she reports directly to the Head of School and meets regularly with him.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and oversees fundraising strategies, fundraising plans, and donor relationships, including donor recognition and stewardship.
- Evaluates current fundraising strategies and methods, recommending changes as appropriate.
- Oversees the Annual Fund, major gifts, capital campaigns and other fundraising initiatives to meet or exceed annual development plan income goals.
- Makes timely and accurate responses to donor concerns, requests, and gifts.
- Develop and implement stewardship strategies that strengthen long-term relationships with major donors and ensure that details of stewardship plans are compiled and communicated to all involved parties.
- Works with the Board of Trustees to reach fundraising goals, to engage the board in fundraising activities, and to identify new funding prospects.
- Prepares solicitation materials, recruits and trains volunteers, and educates internal stakeholders about fundraising.
- Oversees the recording of gifts in database management system according to all IRS specifications as well as School policies and procedures.
- Support Head of School in fundraising efforts and produce monthly giving and annual reports for Head of School and Board.
- Maintain donor database records.
- Candidate must have a proven track record in fundraising or constituent relations; independent school or higher education experience valued.
- Strong understanding of principles and techniques of development activities. Strong understanding of logistics for events and effective communication.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent people skills - Strong interpersonal, organizational, networking, facilitation, and management skills; able to work both independently and within a team-oriented structure.
- Proficient in office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and database management.
- Position requires absolute confidentiality and professionalism in appearance, attitude, and presentation.
Grymes Memorial School has retained Capital Development Services to assist with professional recruitment. Candidates should include a cover letter, a resume, and a list of three references. All material will be confidential. Additional inquiries may be directed to CapDev at firstname.lastname@example.org.