Director of Development
Habitat for Humanity of Wake County
Raleigh, NC | $70,000-$85,000
The Opportunity: Habitat for Humanity of Wake County
There is a tremendous need for affordable housing in our community. One in four families in our community is cost-burdened, meaning they pay too much of their income toward housing at the expense of other necessities like groceries, healthcare and education.
To help meet this need, Habitat Wake provides homeownership opportunities for families making less than 80% AMI and preserves existing affordable homes. We also advocate for policy change that will increase access to housing for everyone.
Since 1985, Habitat Wake has built more than 850 safe, affordable, energy-efficient homes in all parts of Wake and Johnston counties. We’ve served nearly 2,000 families with new construction, home preservation and global building.
The mission: Seeking to put God’s love into action, Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, communities and hope.
The Position: Director of Development
Reporting to the Vice President of Resource Development, the Director of Development will work to achieve fundraising goals set with the VP of Resource Development, the CEO and the Board of Directors. The Director of Development will be an active participant in and manager of all fundraising activities including creating and maintaining a portfolio of major corporate and individual donors while engaging the Development Committee. Responsibilities will include developing, implementing and evaluating fund development strategies that will meaningfully engage and motivate donors to meet team development goals.
This is a Full-Time Exempt position requiring flexibility to work evening and weekend hours as needed for meetings and projects. The Director of Development will likely spend an average of at least five days per week, Monday – Friday (40- hour work week with 8-hours days).
- Work collaboratively with the Resource Development team to meet annual goals and diversify Habitat Wake’s funding base.
- Collaborate with the VP of Resource Development, CEO, and Leadership team implement the fundraising plan for the year.
- Act as a catalyst for fundraising and cultivation of donors and volunteers through major and planned giving, annual giving, corporate and foundation relations, special events, membership and community relations in addition to prospect research and donor stewardship.
- Coordinate volunteer build dates and activities with the Volunteer, Faith Relations and Construction staff.
- Coordinate with Donor Relations Specialist to order all recognition materials and supplies needed for corporate builds.
- Meet with donors and prospects in person.
- Maintain and expand a unique portfolio of major corporate and individual donors in coordination with VP of Resource Development.
- Submit grant applications as needed and coordinate with the Grants Manager.
- Collaborate on creation of written development materials and campaigns, including correspondence, proposals, one pagers, solicitation emails and direct mail letters and collaborate with the Communications Department as needed.
- Direct all corporate identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities as well as record moves management strategies in Raiser’s Edge.
- Identify where fellow staff as well as department leadership and development committee volunteers can further develop individuals in the company as engaged donors and assist in those efforts.
- Work with the Database Manager and to produce reports evaluating corporate strategies and progress on a regular basis. Create and send Impact Statements and reports to partners.
- Project and manage donor and event expenses.
- Support the Resource Development team as needed to maximize overall fundraising revenue and the mission of Habitat Wake.
- Advanced knowledge of fund development theories, principles and procedures
- Strong leadership skills that inspire and motivate
- Effective and diplomatic oral and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and remain flexible while experiencing frequent interruptions
- Experience cultivating, soliciting, and closing gifts particularly in the Triangle
- Excellent computer skills and ability to use Excel, MS Word, MS Office 365, Google products, Volunteer Hub and Raiser’s Edge
- Experience working with corporate executives and community leaders particularly in the Triangle
- Ability to represent the organization in a professional and engaging manner to diverse members of the community
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent working relationships with supervisor, colleagues and volunteers
- Commitment to a high standard of ethics and to promote the donor bill of rights
- Commitment to maintaining a high level of confidentiality with information acquired about Habitat Wake prospects, donors and volunteers
- 3 – 6 years of related and directly relevant development experience in non-profit organizations; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience;
- Knowledge and experience in Raiser’s Edge strongly preferred;
- CFRE preferred;
- Experience providing community development from a Christian framework is highly desired;
- Demonstrated experience in the engagement of volunteers in their work;
- Passion and calling to empower families and revitalize communities; and
- Exceptional communication skills and will have a calm and very pleasant demeanor when working with a wide variety of people.
- Strong analytical and communication skills will be essential with the ability to manage multiple projects under deadlines.
Habitat for Humanity of Wake County has retained Capital Development Services (CapDev) to assist with professional recruitment. Candidates should include a cover letter and a resume. All material will be kept confidential. Additional inquiries may be directed to CapDev at firstname.lastname@example.org.