Rocky Mount, VA
The Opportunity: STEP, Inc.
The Opportunity | STEP, Inc. (Solutions That Empower People)
STEP, a 501c3 provides exceptional services to people who want to improve their quality of life through community, economic, personal, and family development. Working through partnerships built on sustainable strategies that address both the symptoms and causes of poverty, STEP helps individuals realize their fullest potential through a broad array of programs including:
- Child development and school readiness programs through Head Start/Early Head Start;
- A private day school and college readiness program through Youth Services;
- Weatherization and home rental assistance services through Weatherization and section 8;
- Home-delivered meals, senior cafes, and transportation services through Senior Services;
- Homelessness prevention through Supportive Services; and
- Tax preparation assistance through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
The Executive Director is the Chief Executive Officer of STEP, Inc., and is directly responsible for all programs and operations of the agency. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and is accountable for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives. The Executive Director directly supervises the Deputy Executive Director, Finance Director, Human Resources Manager, Maintenance Supervisor, and Executive Administrative Assistant. STEP, Inc. serves over 3,500 individuals annually with a budget of $4.5M and a team of 84 employees.
The Position: Executive Director
The Community | Franklin County, Virginia
Nestled among the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Franklin County is considered the gateway to Virginia’s mountains; Virginia’s Rail Heritage Region; and The Crooked Road – Virginia’s Heritage Music Trail. In addition, it boasts two lakes, two rivers, and two historic towns.
The county is one of Virginia’s fastest growing areas and is comprised of communities that continue to value their farms, forests, waters, and cultural heritage. Residents enjoy a diverse selection of activities, from outdoor adventures like boating, camping, biking, and hiking, to cultural and historic experiences such as the Blue Ridge Institute & Museum at Ferrum College or catching one of the many local musical performances in the Town of Rocky Mount.
The county is framed by the Blue Ridge Mountains on the western border and Smith Mountain Lake on the eastern border of the county. Smith Mountain Lake is a 20,000-acre man-made lake offering a variety of recreational activities including tournament fishing, hunting, sailing, boating, and windsurfing.
The Position | Executive Director
Solutions That Empower People (STEP), Inc. is seeking an Executive Director to lead this dynamic organization. Headquartered in Rocky Mount, VA, STEP is the designated community action agency for Franklin and Patrick counties, and provides services in Bedford, Pittsylvania, and Henry counties, and in the cities of Martinsville and Danville. This is a full-time, on-site, exempt position.
STEP programs are designed to partner with individuals and families to help them overcome adversity and enhance their quality of life through community, economic, personal, and family development. STEP’s mission is to facilitate solutions that empower people to overcome their barriers to economic, educational, and developmental success within the communities served.
The Executive Director will lead a team of professionals in partnering with local governments and organizations across the region to meet this critical and meaningful mission. The Board will provide guidance and support to the Executive Director in growing and expanding partnerships and funding. STEP takes an urgent approach to services with a strong emphasis on professionalism and the core values of teamwork, mutual respect, integrity, service, and personal growth.
Board Governance: Works with board to fulfill the organization mission.
- Responsible for leading STEP in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for cultivating relationships with local, state and federal government as it relates to programs and services.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of STEP, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for oversight of organizational fundraising.
Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with Board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning, and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of STEP’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that STEP can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of STEP’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic, private organizations and local government entities.
Organization Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for effective administration of STEP operations.
- Responsible for signing all contracts, notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
Essential knowledge, skills & abilities
- Transparent and high integrity leadership.
- High level strategic thinking and planning. Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic future to the staff, Board, volunteers, and donors.
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers, and the overall community.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Strong written and oral skills.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred.
- Five or more years of senior nonprofit management experience.
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors.
- A history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results.
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, elected officials, partner agencies, and volunteers.
- Active fundraising experience.
STEP has retained Capital Development Services (CapDev) to conduct a search for this position. Candidates should include a cover letter and a resume. All material will be kept confidential. Additional inquiries may be directed to Jen Tozier at firstname.lastname@example.org.