Click here to read on NonProfitPRO.
The Blackbaud Institute, a research division of Blackbaud (NASDAQ: BLKB), the world’s leading cloud software company powering social good, today released its 2021 Charitable Giving Report. The report shows a record increase in generosity, with overall U.S. giving growing 9% in 2021—the largest increase since 2012. Tracking over $46 billion in U.S.-based charitable giving from the Blackbaud Institute Index, the Charitable Giving Report is one of the most credible resources on fundraising performance in the social good community.
“While the world adjusted to a new normal, the growth in giving in 2021 exceeded nearly everyone’s expectations,” said Steve MacLaughlin, vice president, product management, Blackbaud, and senior advisor to the Blackbaud Institute. “The return of some events and continued interest in online giving drove growth, with incredible resiliency from nonprofits and endurance from donors. Not only did both overall giving and online giving grow, but the average donor was more generous than ever.”
Key U.S. Giving Trends Identified by the Blackbaud Institute:
- Overall giving increased 9% in 2021, representing a three-year increase of 19%
- The overall average gift amount in 2021 increased 10%, with an average donation amount of $813
- Online giving grew 9% in 2021, representing a three-year increase of 42%
- 12% of giving was done online in 2021, remaining near record high and indicating a maintained comfort level with online giving
- 28% of online contributions were made from a mobile device
- Small, medium, and large nonprofits in the United States now raise more than 10% of their fundraising online
Also included in the report is an analysis of giving across 12 nonprofit subsectors, all of which saw growth in 2021, with giving to environmental organizations growing the most at 19.3%. In total, five of the subsectors experienced double-digit giving growth in 2021 compared to 2020. In addition, the report provides a glimpse into international giving trends across Canada, the U.K., and Australia/New Zealand.
The full 2021 Charitable Giving Report can be accessed here, and past reports from the series can be found here. The report is designed to inform social good organizations of the trends shaping philanthropy and to provide the insights they need to make informed, strategic decisions that advance their missions. All Blackbaud Institute resources are offered for free, as part of Blackbaud’s give-back philosophy.
Source: The Blackbaud InstituteReturn to Insights & Events